Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, August 19, 2011

Danny's Labor Story


1. what happened – Saturday (13th) was supposed to be a normal Saturday. Normal as in the doctors appointment, a shake shack lunch and then we go home and just relax and wait for the baby to come.
Instead, it was a Saturday where I get a phone call from Reg heading back to the car (i wait in the car cuz dr. mary doesn’t let me in for any intrusive examinations which is something I will talk about later). Reg says we have to go to the hospital. I said what? And she repeats what she says. And I just say nooo you’re joking.
Turns out that we were a bit more lax than we should have been. Reg had a leak in her water and so she had to be induced to reduce any chance of infection spreading to the fetus.
2.  hospital or doctors office - I quickly decide we should go back home first and grab our bags and head back out again. Reg wasn’t sure what to do because dr. mary seemed concerned. While driving back home, I called my dad and asked him if he could drive us to the hospital. He replied it’s Saturday you know I’m busy on Saturday. So I just said okay got it, hung up and went back to focus on driving. I got a call back a few minutes later from my dad saying okay I’ll drive you to the hospital, when should I come? I just said I’ll call you when I get home.
So when we got home (20 minutes from Chinatown to our house!), I called my parents to come and quickly asked jeff to take care of the dogs. When my parents came, my mom rushed in and asked are you guys having the baby? I said YES WHY ON EARTH WOULD I CALL YOU TO DRIVE US TO THE HOSPITALLL!! She yells back at me you should have said that you were going to have the baby, we thought you were talking about the doctors office! DUH! I guess Korean word for that is interchangeable.
3. familiarizing yourself – for those that know me, many find me jaded. Not much really surprises me. I’ve pretty much seen it all – either in real life or on tv. I have seen the miracle of life in high school and all those annoying TLC tv shows that reg watches. However, I do think dr. mary should really consider men being included into the doctor visits (unless otherwise requested by the preggo mom). I was a bit shy to peak in when his head was in the birth canal but part of it had to do with dr. mary’s not allowing me to go into the doctor’s appointment. I wasn’t sure if I was allowed or even suppose to take a peak even when she asked me to.
The only thing I couldn’t handle was the episiotomy. I had to cringe and look away. The other thing that I remember was the pain in reg’s face when dr. mary pulled the placenta out. -__-
I have to say I have a new respect for reg. she’s a damn trooper. I cannot believe what I saw. I swear all I need to do is go to war and I’ve seen it all.
4. holding back – so when we got back home on Tuesday, I admitted to reg that I had to hold back laughing during her pushing. For a while, I was quiet due to the slight uneasiness being in a new situation but I was getting the hang of it. I realized that reg’s cue that she was going to have a contraction was “ marryyyy…. Oh mary I have to poop”. And she kept saying it EVERY time and every time she pushed she made great progress. At one point, I just couldn’t hold it in and I had to hold back a small laugh. Lol
5. penis! – yea it’s a boy. But like many have asked and know, I never cared what it was.
6. Elijah – another reason to smile more.

No comments:

Post a Comment