Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Personal Space

While I was pregnant, people often touched my belly without asking me. I did not mind but I know women that get very uncomfortable when that happens to them. I understand where they are coming from. After all, it isn't exactly the norm that you just go up to a person and touch their belly, or in fact, any part of their body. If I know you, a hug or a touch on the arm is nice when you greet me. But really, anything more than that is cutting into my personal space.

Following the belly trend, people love to just touch Eli without any regard to our personal space. It totally freaks me out when people touches him without washing their hands or using hand sanitizer. He is a baby and he has a very weak immune system. I don't know where their hands have been. How do I know you wash your hands after using the bathroom? It is totally not acceptable that you touch my baby's face, hands, feet, etc. And don't tell me that it builds his immune system. Do you take care of him when he is sick? I think not. He is my baby and I don't want him to suffer with a nasty cold. With that said, I know it's very tempting to reach out and show affection towards a baby. I appreciate the loving gesture. But you can simply smile, talk, and play with Eli and that shows just as much love.

I'm not saying you can't touch my baby or any baby at all. Be considerate and be smart. Babies are not toys, they need their space too.

No comments:

Post a Comment